Monday, October 21, 2013

Magneto & Starter Clutch

Cool word- MAGNETO.  Below is the magneto stator I believe. Its a bunch of coiled up copper wires, and it bolts onto the inside engine cover. The wiring is frayed and held together with some old electrical tape.
 
 
Bolted in place.
 
 
The rotor is really two things in one. The rotor itself which contains permanent magnets which creates the magnetic field so the stator coils can produce alternating current. And then the starter clutch. Below is the clutch on the backside of the rotor. Those three shiny rollers (effectively) "lock" onto the crankshaft when the electric starter is engaged. When the engine starts, the crankshaft spins faster than the electric starter and those rollers spin the other way and disengage from the crankshaft. Nifty.


 
Here you can see all the marks where those rollers grab onto. The sprocket is for the starter chain.
 

Not sure why, but I disassembled the starter clutch.


You can see where the rollers roll back and forth in the oil tracks.


When I put it back together, I was missing a pin that pushes against the one of the rollers via a spring. F*ck. I looked high and low for 15 minutes. Nothing. Low and behold, it was under my nose (or rather the rotor) the whole time! Thanks to the magnets, it didn't get very far!

 
Now since I'm eliminating the starter and going kick only, I thought I could also eliminate the starter sprocket. And I did just that until I noticed this little oil passage hole. The sprocket covers this and without it, the oil pressure/flow might be altered too much. Heck if I know one way or the other so I had to remove the rotor again and put the sprocket back in place.
 
 
Tightening the rotor on with my make shift holding tool. I let the wrench press against the bench top so I don't have to fight against my own arms.

 
Cover on. Making Progress. Hell yeah.










No comments:

Post a Comment