Friday, October 18, 2013

Valve lapping

Pulled the old valve oil seals off with a pliers. These wear out so might as well replace them when ever the valves are out.
 
 
New Vitan synthetic rubber seals.
 
 
 
 
Just a few pics of carbon build up.
 


 
These dremel pads are awesome.
 
 
Used two Permatex grinding compounds (course & fine) on the valves and seats.
 
 


 
After a few minutes on each seat, this was the result. Those look like pits, but I think they are just carbon spots. I ran my finger nail along the seats and it felt very smooth. I really didn't feel like paying for a valve job if they didn't need it
 
 
 
So I kept at it with the lapping tool for a little bit more and most of it came off. I didn't do any fancy measurements. They look good to me!
 
 
Homemade valve compressor with a big C clamp and socket. Pretty tight spot to get the keepers in there by the purple arrow. First one took forever, but I got the hang of it after that.
 
 

 
 
This was my test to see if the valves formed a nice seal with the seats. I stood the head on its side and filled the ports with break cleaner. Its not a full proof method, but its better than nothing. All the valves held the break cleaner.
 

 No leaks!!!




 





No comments:

Post a Comment