Friday, October 7, 2011

DIY Soda Blaster

Now that the engine is completely apart, I started thinking about how to clean it. At first I though that I would have to scrub and scrub with a solvent until she shined up. In the mean time, I also was learning about soda blasting. Soda blasting is probably the safest way to blast because its almost completely harmless to the engine. It doesn't remove metal and it dissolves in water so clean up is a breeze. Not only that, you can Do It Yourself.

Sounds like a plan!

The two large holes will be where my arms go. The smaller one on the side will be where my shop vac hose goes. It will simply suck out all the left over soda, dirt & dust. The plastic bin maybe a little smaller then the ideal, but I should be able to fit all the engine parts in there.



Now I'm making holes for the air hose and the media blasting hose.

I love grommets. These two fittings are snug as can be in there. The barbed fitting is for the blast media and the larger fitting is a quick connect fitting for the air hose. Doing it this way with the pass thru fittings will make this really portable and convenient to use. "Plug and play", if you will.

Air hose inside the blast "cabinet".


Blast media hose in side the blast cabinet.


Hole cut on top for the window. I need to get some nice rubber edging for these larger openings. This is gonna look really nice when its done!

No comments:

Post a Comment