Monday, August 29, 2011

Bagged & Tagged

My first two parts baggies!


The one on the left has bolts from the sprocket cover plus a spring from the end of the clutch cable. Later in the day after removing the cable, I was wondering how in the hell the clutch cable did anything. The end was connected to a lever on the inside of the sprocket engine cover. That's it. There was nothing connected to the inside of the engine. Since I know zip about engines, I had to look into this mystery further.


The part I saw connected to the inside sprocket cover (circled in red) is called a clutch release. When the clutch cable is pulled, the release pushes against a rod (part# 12). This rod in turn opens up all the stuff in the clutch basket which is normally pressed together with springs. When the rod is pushed in, there is no longer friction holding all the plates together and keeping them from slipping. At least that's how I understand it. I'm learning stuff every minute with this project. Awesome.

The parts baggie on the right has the exhaust collars.

So I'm still trying to get the engine removed. Next up according to the shop manual is the sprocket. The darn thing spins freely so its very hard to get the nut off. I tried various ways of holding it into place to get the nut off but with little success. I was able to keep it from spinning, but the nut is really stuck. My crescent wrench slipped a few times, and the back of my left hand smashed into the cylinder.

I read on the internet that these things can be a real pain in the ass to get off. I don't have a 27mm socket or a long cheater pipe to pry this little bugger off so I'm probably going to Dremel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment