Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Free at Last!

Finally got the motor out. Wasn't too bad, just removing a bunch of bolts. But darn that thing is heavy. 200 lbs is my guess. After all the mounting bolts were off, I thought I could lift it out of there. The engine is aluminum- right? But the gears and whatnot are steel so it was a lot heavier than I hoped.

I grabbed a couch cushion from the living room (our couches are trashed anyway from our 4 rambunctious boys) and laid it down next to the bike. Then I tipped it over, the engine plopped out and I tipped the bike back up.




With the motor out, I had to take a peak under the cylinder head cover. Everything looked good as far as I could tell. No noticable wear and tear on the camshaft lobes. Evrything looked very clean. Sweet.

Funny to think that this might be the first time in 32 years the camshaft has seen the light of day.




No comments:

Post a Comment