Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Socks, kick & shift.

Could I be the first to invent this re-building trick/technique? I dunno, but I'm kind of proud about it! Socks over the studs to keep stuff from falling into the case. I got rags stuffed in there too to be safe. I dropped a ton of stuff down there when I was tearing her down. 
 
 
Kick shaft on. I forgot to take pictures. Inside the cover is a stiff spring that keeps the kick shaft pressed against that tab where my first busted bolt was (the spring spins the shaft to the left). This disengages a gear on the kick shaft. When you kick start it, the shaft spins in the opposite direction (to the right) and the gear engages with the transmission which in turn rotates the crankshaft.

 
This is part of the shift mechanism. The spring needs to be placed just like in the picture below. It took awhile of researching the net to make sure this is the correct way to place the spring. The manual isn't very clear.  
 
 
In place. The shaft is what you turn with your foot when shifting. The black painted ring is the end of the shift drum and just behind said ring are pegs that those hooks grab onto to rotate the drum. 

 
The clutch push rod.


 
The cover for this area. The purple circle is where I snapped off part of the chain guard trying to get the sprocket bolt off way back when and the yellow is for the neutral indicator dash light. I'm not going to need this light so I'll pull that off later on and screw in a plug of some kind. Less wires and clutter the better! This is going to be very lean machine.

 
Just an O-ring that might get looked over if you are not careful (I think that's where it goes!)

 
Cover going on. The manual says to use a special tool for those black circular oil seal thingies in the cover when you put it on. I skipped that part. Seems fine.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment