Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Two halves become one (finally!!!)

Here are the larger crankcase bolts that go by the crank shaft. They look 30 years old! I found with trial and error that Eagle One Mag Wheel Cleaner works wonders on old bolts. It has acids that eat the rust off. Be careful because it will also eat zinc plating right off. I don't have a picture, but the bolts are now very clean with a dull grey color.
 
On a side note, I tried to re-zinc plate these bolts with disastrous results- a story I'll save for later.  
 

Making sure I know where everything goes and that I have not lost anything.

 
I'm using Permatex Ultra Black for the crankcase gasket by the way. I don't have any pictures of putting it on because I was too focused (and nervous) on doing it right. I had to spread it around with my finger because its impossible to lay smooth bead through all the intricate surface areas.
 
Its a pain setting the bottom case onto the top (engine is upside down) because there a several parts that need to be aligned like the balancers, balancer chain & crank shaft. The balancer chain tensioner was always getting in the way too. In the end, I think I got it right.

You want to slightly tighten the crankcase bolts until you see it squish out between the halves. Then wait for a bit so it can "thicken". After that you can torque it down. 
 

Next post, I'll tell you how I busted another bolt torqueing the crankcase together. Yay!  



No comments:

Post a Comment