Sunday, July 7, 2013

Everything Now in Reverse.

So finally I'm getting to the rebuild in the phrase "engine rebuild". Everything before was teardown, dismantle, take apart and unscrew. The first two are quick shots of the bare lower crankcase and a gear shaft. The first step was to just look at all the case parts and get reacquainted with them. They sat in baggies so long I forgot what was what. After a few days of looking at the parts diagrams and laying it all out on my workbench, I felt confident enough to start actually placing parts back into the crankcase.

The 3rd pic is the first part to actually be reassembled! The shift drum I believe. With this I learned a valuable lesson. Follow those parts diagrams with extreme precision. I noticed right away that a circlip was missing. But not until a few days later did I realize almost by chance that another part was missing from the shift drum assembly- a little 4mm x 6mm dowel pin. Yikes. How many more little parts like that can I miss? Anyhow, those are now on order.

The shop manual is a mess, in my opinion. The reassembly steps are spread out all over. There is not a separate section devoted it. Instead, its tacked on at the end of each part's dismantling instructions. It creates constant flipping back and forth with no clear start or end point.

The last pic is a complete gasket set from Vesrah orded off ebay. I've read these are better quality than Athena.

No comments:

Post a Comment