Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Replacing Parts

So previously I mentioned a missing dowel pin. Here's a picture of a new one I ordered (hand model courtesy of ebay seller). No wonder it went missing.
 
 
And that pin goes underneath the star shape part below to keep it from freely spinning. The manual calls the star shape "Operating Plate" but the parts catalog calls it "Cam-Change Drum". Below this cam-change drum is a positioning pin that, with the help of a spring, locks the cam-change drum into place as it rotates with the rest of the shift drum assembly. So basically when you shift, the pin helps the shift drum assembly "snap" into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. If you look close, you can see the track marks running along center from the pin. That's my theory anyway. 
 
 
The snap ring (or circlip) next to the cam-change drum was put in place with the Harbor Freight snap ring pliers below. I didn't have this tool during disassembly and bent a bunch of rings. I had to order several new ones. Yes, I should of had this tool from the beginning.
 
 
Here's some worn out balancer chain slippers (or guides). The kz750 twin has counter weights in the crankcase that counteract the piston and crankshaft vibration. The balancer chain rotates two weights. I'm replacing these chain slippers. 
 
 
 
Way back I had serious problems with a piston pin. It wouldn't come out without heat and a lot of force (which ended up chipping the piston). Here you can see scratching and scoring on the stuck pin and in the connecting rod. I wonder what caused this to happen?
 
 
 
This is the other rod. Much better but still some scoring on the edge. Needless to say, the pins and rods are being replaced.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment