Monday, September 12, 2011

Off the Ground

Clearly I need an engine stand of some sort. I've gotten as far as I could without one. I took some measurments of the engine and drew up a design in Sketchup.


Its got 2x4's and casters for the base. Angle iron and 3/8" threaded rods for supports. I don't have many power tools so most of this was done the old fashion way as you'll see.

Making 2x4 cuts with my little table saw (one of the few power tools I've got).


Using deck mate screws. I love these things. They zip right in there and hold tight.


This would make for a nice furniture roller, wouldn't it?


Hand sawing angle iron. I tried the dremmel but that was too slow. I thought about getting a power saw or an angle grinder, but for a small job like this I figured it wasn't really worth it.


This is a regular hand drill, not a drill press. I was worried about this part. I had some drill bits but had no clue if they would bite into metal. It actually worked ok. I used the old engine oil for lubrication too. I'm gald I didn't dump it yet.


Assembly...


Finished product. Looks a lot like the sketchup model. Nice.


And mounted. I'll still have to sit on a stool to work on parts of the motor, but its 100x times better than having it (and my butt) sit on the floor.



Yeah, the angle iron drilling and cutting sucked. I love the end result though. It turned out almost better than expected.

2 comments:

  1. Are you still watching this blog? I'm really curious how this restoration turned out as I'm in the midst of the exact same thing.

    Would also like to know if I could get the specs for that engine stand you built...hope you're still alive and kicking...and riding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! After a long hiatus, I'm back at it. VooDoo Vintage in Austin TX is hardtailing the frame right now. He wants to sell kz750 hardtail kits so mine is the first test case. Engine is still in pieces but just starting to put it back together again.

      Delete