Monday, September 26, 2011

Pan Down

I'm still mostly following the shop manual (if I get stuck on something I skip ahead), and next up is the oil pan. I'm excited about this one because the inner guts of the engine will finally get exposed (from underneath anyway).

The 17 bolts came off easy, but the pan was stuck. I tapped with a hammer and prodded with a screw driver, but it wasn't going to come off that easy. The ever resourceful forums suggested (among other things) a 4 pound "dead blow hammer". This is essentially a heavy duty rubber mallet as I found out later when I purchased one. I'm trying to be a bit more careful and get the right tool when I can.

After several strong swings and whacks all around the oil pan, she just suddenly flopped straight down. 


It wasn't too bad in there. The oil was thick and black. There were also some small bits of metal and whatnot in there. I know its not a good sign to have a lot of metal bits in the oil pan, but isn't it normal to have at least some? This may have been the first time the pan came off too so maybe its just from breaking the engine in.

You can see them below. They look much bigger covered in oil than they really are after washing them off. Not all of them are metal. Some of it is just grime falling from above through the cylinders.


And cleaned up a bit. Man, I can't wait to get the rest of the engine squeaky clean! I'm getting tired of grime everywhere.


The oil pump.


Here's a shot of what's under the breather cover. I believe both the out gassing vent and the intake breather are both in here. Some bikes have them located at different spots on the engine.


Getting really close to splitting the rest of the case wide open and pulling out the gears and stuff. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment