Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

OK, ready to get back to work with my new tools in hand.

I used the chain wrench to hold the flywheel and was able to get the nut off. I did scratch the fly wheel a tiny bit with the chain wrench. Next time I'll put a rag or something under it.


The Harbor Freight bolt puller set worked perfect to get the fly wheel off. The two pieces I used are in the picture below. Snap the pointed tip on the bolt puller thing, screw the bolt into the fly wheel and off it came. Finally some things are working in my favor!


Here's the bolt puller in action. Fly wheel popped right off with no effort. I read a lot of people have problems with these too.


And the fly wheel off. The sprocket is for the starter motor chain. I plan on deleting the starter and go kick start only. Can I delete the starter clutch and this sprocket too? I'll cross that bridge later.


Stater motor off.


Now finally back to the engine sprocket. I tried to dremel the stuck nut awhile ago but stopped that foolishness. I got the old chain back out and wrapped it all over the sprocket to jam it up. I used the impact wrench at first, but it didn't work. Maybe I wasn't patient enough. I never used one before and it was just spinning and making a loud "clack, clack, clack" noise. Next came out the cheater pipe. I bounced my full weight on it and the nut at last came loose.


Sh*t. The way I had the chain jammed in there put too much pressure on the aluminum case and a small piece broke off. Fortunately it shouldn't effect anything.


On the other side, I got the clutch plate off.



What's not shown is my first lame attempt to get the clutch hub off. This spins freely and it needs to be held in place. So I took just 3 of the bolts used to hold the clutch plate on and screwed them into the hub. Then I wrapped the chain wrench around the 3 bolts and went to work on the nut. Big mistake. The 3 little bolts didn't handle the torque very well and one snapped out chipping off a small piece of aluminum from the hub in the process. I may need to buy another one.

I left it at that for a few days and went back to it after my head was clear. I was going to fashion a clutch holder tool with some steel, but then I thought I could just jam the flat steel strips in there. I know, sounds like a reckless move on my part again. I made sure everything was snug and secure, and it was. I then used the impact wrench on it. Nothing at first- just that loud "clanking" sound. Kept at it a few seconds more and the nut came off with no damage to anything else. Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment