Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Timing Advancer & Dynamo

To get to the timing advancer, the "contact breaker cover" (just part of the engine cover) was pulled off,  then the "contact breaker mounting plate" was pulled by removing 3 screws and finally the advacer mounting bolt was removed (which was not stuck!).

Here's what's left after all that:



The timing advancer is the thing with the small springs on it. Its supposed to just pull off, but its stuck. I sprayed it with some lubricant and I'll go back to it later.

On the other side of the engine, I'm trying to get the armature off of the inside part of the engine cover. These allen screws are a bitch to unscrew. From start to end, they didn't want to turn. Thread lock maybe? I didn't see anything on them. I needed a little extra leverage.



Here's the engine cover after I got the armature out.



Now I need to remove the large bolt in the center of the flywheel. Once again, another stuck bolt. This is a reverse threaded one too (which luckily I read that part of the manual before trying to crank on it).



I see an impact wrench in my immediate future. All these frozen nuts, screws and bolts are becoming a real pain.

Also in my immediate future is an engine stand. My lower back is getting awfully tight. I'll probably make one out of angle iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment